Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Goodies For The Goodie Bags

Dyanne Boone Baldwin is looking for cool things to stuff the goodie bags with. If you have access to such items, please contact her and she'll tell you where to send them. She can be reached at baldwin@bigplanet.com.

Money Matters

Dear Hampton Brothers & Sisters, as we approach 30 years of our graduation and some 34 years (whew!) since we entered Hampton as freshman, I have been in deep reflection of how far we have come. As I contemplate how blessed I have been through my Hampton education and the relationships for life that I have developed, I also have come to the conclusion that I have not financially supported Hampton consistent with what it has given me. I was recently telling Vince (Bayyan) how whenever all of us talk or get together we reminisce and relish in our college experience. Personally, I laugh and talk about how great Hampton was and what it has meant in my life. However, despite my admiration and appreciation, I have not stepped up for my Home by the Sea like it stepped up for me. Honestly, if it were not for Hampton I would not have had the opportunities that I have received, or experienced the level of success that I have enjoyed.

As such, I am making a renewed commitment to give to our current class campaign, as well as going forward. My experiences and success are not unique. In fact it is the norm for many Hampton grads. Therefore, I am asking each and everyone of my classmates to please search your memories, look at your gifts and blessings, and contribute to our class campaign. Lets face it, however, our class campaign of $1300 per classmate may be a stretch for many, especially in this economy. Do not let the amount stop you from giving. Your contribution will be confidential. Please give whatever you can, $5.00,$10.00, $15.00 or more, no amount is too small.

Sadly, Hampton has a low percentage of alumni who give. As a consequence, like many HCBUs, Hampton's scholarship funding is suffering. Hampton needs us! Therefore, this is truly one of those situations where every little bit counts. Hampton was there for us. Now lets be there for Hampton.

Hampton Love,

Chuck Dortch

No comments:

Post a Comment